Very memorable weekend. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Another great day at Fellowship Bible Church. Crawford Loritts delivered another life-changing message from Acts 15 on how God uses conflict. I learned a lot! Go to www.fbconline.org later this week to hear the message.
- Brett Favre returned to Green Bay with 4 touchdown passes and a Vikings win. Regardless of his age or how often he struggles with retirement decisions, he is healthy and can perfectly run Minnesota’s offense. I love his passion for life and the game. Also, Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson are freaks who you can’t contain the entire game. They allow Favre not to do too much and stay in the confines of the offense. I hope he never retires.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have more top-tier talent skill players than any team I have seen since the 1981-84 San Diego Chargers. DeSean Jackson is the most electrifying player in the NFL currently.
- Ted Ginn Jr is the new Desmond Howard. A top 10 NFL Draft wideout who never panned out as a receiver but found a niche as a dominant return man.
- Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy have re-entered the Heisman race with big weekends. I have them #2-3 behind Jimmy Clausen. However, I know most people would have Clausen or Mark Ingram #3.
- Unless you can hold the Florida Gators to 17 points, no one is going to beat them because that defense is not going to give up more than that. Your best chance is to force turnovers and make Tebow fumble or throw interceptions.
- The Oregon Ducks were dominant against USC. Head Coach Chip Kelly has a team that is fast, loaded with athletes, and can flat out score. They are a compelling story and Kelly is the National Coach of the Year.
- Also, they have a great QB in the West Coast-Tebow, Jeremiah Masoli. Only a junior, I would draft Masoli ahead of Tebow. He’s not as big but he’s a significantly better passer and a more dangerous runner.
- Who knew the Boise State-Oregon game back in Week 1 would wind up being so important? It’s not going to happen without a playoff, but I would love to see a Florida-Oregon game. The BCS is heading towards Armageddon this year.
- I would also like to see Texas-Alabama or Texas-TCU.
- I don’t want to see Iowa play anyone. Come on Ohio State and Terrell Pryor in two weeks, relieve our national suffering.
- Georgia Tech is a team no one wants to play in January. Georgia Tech-Cincinnati would be a great game.
- I’m old enough to remember when Ole Miss was a good team…back in the first two weeks of September.
- I’m old enough to remember when the Tennessee Volunteers were a bad team…back in the first two weeks of September.
- I think Carmelo Anthony will enter full-fledged superstar status this year and lead the NBA in scoring. He has always been able to score but he has now arrived mentally and emotionally and Chauncey Billups is a great veteran steadying influence.
Getting ready for a charity golf event tomorrow for Bethel Haven in Athens, GA to raise support to help at-risk kids. I can’t wait. Hanging out with some great guys.