As we head into the weekend, I am thinking a lot about patience in sports. The Atlanta Hawks at 10-2 have the NBA’s best record. What impresses me about the Hawks as how they have given their team to mature and develop. They have stuck with Josh Smith, Mike Bibby, Marvin Williams, and Head Coach Mike Woodson and are now reaping the benefits. This makes me also think of the Michigan Wolverines and Head Coach Rich Rodriguez. After two years, his future is unknown even though he had install a new system and get the players to operate within that system. I am not a Rodriguez fan and lacks even rudamentary people skills but they need to give him at least 5 years. Other thoughts:
- With no great college games, look for the top Heisman candidates to put up big numbers against inferior competition. I am not a fan of this award being a lifetime achievement honor and Tim Tebow has not been the team’s best player. That award would go to Carlos Dunlap or Joe Haden. Therefore, my top 3 “2009” Heisman candidates are C.J. Spiller, Mark Ingram, and the best college football player, Ndamukong Suh.
- I would love a +1 college playoff this year. Your going to get your SEC match-up in Alabama and Florida but a Texas-TCU game would be awesome!
- How can you not enjoy Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings. With 17 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions, Favre at 40 years old is the NFL’s leading passer with a 107.5 rating. Stay young Brett and keep throwing deep to Sidney Rice!
- Speaking of the Vikings, Percy Harvin is amazing!
- Have you realized that the Cincinnati Bengals have swept both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. Assistant Coach Mike Zimmerman has taken the defense to a new level.
- I am fascinated by the resurgence of Vince Young and the Tennessee Titans. I was never a fan of his since he scored a 12 on his Wunderlic Test but along with Chris Johnson, he has energized this team.
- I am loving Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski on MNF.
- Sarah Palin is a ratings machine. Don’t believe me, ask Hannity, O’Reily, and yes even Oprah.
- I am seeing 2012 tomorrow with my wife. I think she is setting me up for a serious “chick flick”.
- I’m watching Season 4 of The Unit on dvd. What was CBS thinking canceling that show?
- I can’t wait for the Cleveland Browns vs Detroit Lions. Okay, I’m kidding…unless the NHL is on.
Finally, I can’t wait to post lesson 3 of Leadership Capacity tomorrow. Having a great time writing those insights.