The following is a list of thoughts that I have after Day 1 of the NFL Draft.
1. I love the multiple day approach. The extra excitement that is created from trade opportunities and the re-setting of draft boards is palpable. Also, I am looking for a number of veteran players to be traded today.
2. The Detroit Lions scored big with Ndamuong Suh and Jahvid Best. However, I wish they would have kept the 2nd round pick and paired Suh with Terrence Cody. No one would have run on them for a decade.
3. Tampa Bay drafting Gerald McCoy and having 2 2nd rounds picks could solidify their defense for several years.
4. I heard Charlie Casserly today on the NFL Network says he did a 10-year study and discovered that only 50% of 2nd round picks are starting after 4 years.
5. I’m looking for Scott Pioli of the Kansas City Chiefs to make a big splash today with 2 2nd round picks to go with future star Eric Berry.
6. Pete Carroll knows this year’s talent class. Drafting Russell Okung and Earl Thomas was genius. Also, what does this say about Pete Carroll’s evaluation of Taylor Mays?
7. With their offensive line being solidified and getting a full season out of Michael Crabtree, the San Francisco 49ers are my pre-season favorite to win the NFC West.
8. I said on my Twitter account last Fall that Demaryius Thomas reminds me of a young Terrell Owens. However, the Tim Tebow selection is a major head scratcher. It only takes one or two teams to love you to make you a first round pick.
9. I believe that Tim Tebow is a great young man of character and a strong Christian. But so is Colt McCoy. Assuming both have the spiritual element, who is the better QB? Once again, I’m scratching my head.
10. Pride comes before destruction. The only reason I can see that Josh McDaniel drafted Tebow is because of his incredible confidence in himself to develop QBs. Granted, if he does develop Tebow, he will become a legend in this area. If he doesn’t, this will remind Denver fans of when Dan Reeves drafted Tommy Maddox. He will not become a legend. He will become unemployed.
11. Jimmy Clausen should have been drafted by the Cleveland Browns. Minnesota needs to jump all over him with the 34th pick. He is the best QB in this draft.
12. I believe Sam Bradford will be an average NFL QB at best.
13. The NY Jets with now 3 lockdown corners are going to blitz like crazy this year and best the NFL’s funnest team to watch.
14. With the addition of Dez Bryant, the Dallas Cowboys have four quality WRs (2 who are explosive), a Pro Bowl TE, and 3 very good RBs. They will have the NFL’s best offense next year.
15. With 3 2nd round picks and a 3rd, it is time for the NE Patriots to re-stock its defense and get a quality WR to one day replace Randy Moss. Look for Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn to go here.
16. If the Oakland Raiders draft McCoy/Clausen or Tate/Benn at 39, they will be putting together a solid class.
17. I watched ESPN for 90% of last night’s draft. Only Mike Mayock was compelling for the NFL Network. The combination of Young, Jackson, Kiper, McShay and this year’s star Jon Gruden completely compensated for the woeful Chris Berman. Also, if you missed the pre-draft comments by Trent Dilfer and Ron Jaworski on Tebow, they were scathing. “The NFL is not a developmental league.”
18. I would not want to be a Jacksonville Jaguars fan.
19. The 4 undrafted Florida Gators – Carlos Dunlap, Brandon Spikes, Major Wright, and Aaron Hernandez – are all going to make some NFL team very happy one day.
20. Character matters.
Finally, I can’t wait for tonight.