As I watch the Boston Celtics take on the Los Angeles Lakers in this year’s NBA Finals, it is quite noticeable that Boston has four legitimate offensive weapons while the Lakers have only Kobe Bryant and Pao Gasol. If the Celtics hold on and win the series it will be because they have more options than the Lakers do.
I constantly am talking to my daughter about the need to have options in her life. Some of the benefits of having these options are the following:
- You have the ability to choose between occupational opportunities.
- You have margin if something goes wrong. You have somewhere to land.
- Those around you are more blessed because you have more longevity in your chosen field than someone without options.
The question then becomes how do you position yourself to have more options? The following are four good practices that will create options and can change your life:
- Education (Preparation) – Doing well in high school will give you a variety of colleges to choose from. From there, select a good school and get your degree. It is amazing the number of doors that are then open to you.
- People (Relationships) – Value the people that come into your life and then add value to them. This small world is flat. In every industry you are constantly encountering the same people. Having prevously added value to them can provide amazing opportunities at strategic points in your life. Also, be careful to never burn bridges. As a wise supervisor once told me “Be careful what toes you step on. They may one day be attached to the backside you have to kiss.” Though she used different language!
- Skills (Perspiration) – Select a profession you love regardless of the compensation. Because you love it, you will put in extra hours, effort, and study. As a result, you will grow deeply in the skills of your chosen profession and the compensation will soon follow. No one pays for average but they will line up for those above average.
- God (Inspiration) – As you know, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. One of my favorite Bible verses is Romans 4:17 which states “God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exists.” For the Christian, you are never out of options. Just because it appears things are hopeless relationally, occupationally, financially, or emotionally does not make it so. God can bring things to life that are dead and make things appear that don’t currently exist. I say again, the Christian is never out of options.
Please know that options are always available to you. Put the four things into practice mentioned above and watch the positive changes that come your way.
To remind you of the value of options, enjoy the video footage of the Celtics’ fourth option, Rajon Rondo.