Emmitt Smith is the NFL’s greatest running back ever by the numbers. The following are the leadership quotes from his Hall Of Fame speech.
- He hasn’t left a yard on the table of his life. – Jerry Jones
- I wanted to become the all-time leading rusher. Period.
- This team means more to me than just another team in the National Football League.
- Because I am a man of faith, I know my relationship with Jerry Jones was ordained.
- Shine the spotlight on others.
- The football is the most important thing on a football field.
- Jimmy Johnson brought discipline. focus, and excellence. You showed us how to achieve these things.
- You (Darryl Johnston) mean the world to me because of the sacrifices you made…You took care of me like a little brother.
- I was agonizing about why I did not go into the Top 10 of the draft.
- We had a collective goal, mental toughness, and trust as a team.
- To be of service. The heart of service is for everyone.
- Claim your inner champion.
- We all need a success strategy.
- Never let others define you. You define yourself.
- Sustaining a vision – Most only dream. I wrote down my goals and how to achieve them. It’s only a dream until you write it down. Then it’s a goal.
- Consistency shows value. Necessary for trust and longevity. Show up every week no matter how difficult the game or life might be.
- Balance – the key to success. I show balance in my personal life when I put my family in their proper place which is #1.
- Daddy’s doing the very best that he can.
- Son, I am so proud of you. I have dreams of doing what you’re doing but my mom got sick…You’re living my dream.
- I bear all their names (father, son). Our name will always be enshrined in the history of pro football.
Emmitt, you’re a Hall Of Famer in every way. Congratulations.
For future leadership insights, please subscribe to this post or click here.