I love reading The Sporting News. Because of how its writers analyze the intricacies of sports, each edition is loaded with leadership principles. As a gift to you, the following are 14 leadership quotes from the last month that if applied properly, will improve your leadership and the performance of your teams.
- “My faith is stronger than that. I didn’t ever want football to be my god…you’re not going to win them all…There are more important things than football.” – Bobby Bowden
- “Every year is a new challenge; every year you’re undefeated. It’s a clean slate. Americans love to compete. But in coaching, you’re competing in front of other people. That guy down the street selling insurance – ain’t nobody watching him.” – Bowden
- More from Bowden – “I would always tell my boys to protect that name (Bowden). That name is more important than money. Be proud of it and protect it. I used to tell my players, ‘When you get in trouble, your momma and your daddy, you’re killing their name.'”
- “It (finalizing his compensation) makes it a lot easier for me to clear my mind and just play basketball.” – Memphis Grizzlie Rudy Gay
3 Steps To Stopping A Slump from Chicago White Sox Alex Rios
- Recharge In The Offseason – “I did little batting or baseball activities like I usually do.”
- Regain Your Confidence – “Keep it simply and try to be consistent.”
- Maintain Your Focus – “I haven’t let things bother me as much…My mindset is to win, and I’m not even thinking about individual goals. The big picture is all about reaching the playoffs. There will be more highs and lows.”
Leaders, here’s more!
- “We hope giving him (Scott Rolen) time off earlier means we can play him a lot down the stretch.” – Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker. Leaders, today’s decisions determine tomorrow’s success.
- “He knew he had things to work on, and even with his success, you can still refine what you’re doing.” – Tampa Bay Rays director of minor league operations Mitch Lukevics on minor league Pitcher Of The Year Jeremy Hellickson. Leaders, the enemy of future success is past success.
- “You have a pedigree of success and integrity that comes with Nolan Ryan. The real sign of a leader is you want to get behind him.” – Texas Rangers senior vp Jim Sundberg. Leaders, do you know if anyone is following you?
- “Pitchers that believe they don’t have the stuff that they need will look for it in the wrong places.” – Dave Righetti. Leaders, how is your integrity?
- “Zack (Greinke) would never admit it, but it’s human nature that it will wear on you knowing you have to go out there and throw perfect.” – KC Royals pitching coach Bob McClure. Leaders, do you put unneccessary pressure on your team by making them feel they have to be perfect?
- “I’ve enjoyed working with him (Mike Shanahan) because he knows what he’s doing.” – Washington Redskins oc Kyle Shanahan on his dad. Leaders, are you competent at your task?
- “It’s not about proving doubters wrong. That doesn’t really motivate me. I don’t have to prove anything to anybody but myself…I am motivated just because I love to play basketball.” – 31-year old Tracy McGrady of the Detroit Pistons. Leaders, what is your motivation?
Leaders, tell us what you’ve learned from these quotes.
For future leadership insights, please subscribe to this post or click here.