Is there anything that captures the heart of man more than his little girl? If there is, I have not discovered it.
A few weeks ago when my family was on vacation, someone referenced the beauty of my pre-teen little girl in a loud voice as they were driving past us. Can you tell I am putting that nicely?! I knew that day would one day come but not this quickly.
Well, at that point it was GAME ON between her leadership-minded dad and all the testosterone infested males who would come her way!!!
We are several years away from dating but I think it is important to begin establishing the parameters of acceptable teen behavior from the young men who would be potentially interested in dating my daughter. The following are the ten behaviors that would disqualify them from that opportunity:
- They Have To Be A Christian. This is non-negotiable. Jesus Christ is the top priority in our lives. Our family hopefully conducts ourselves in a manner that allows Him to tell His story through us. Any young man must have the same belief system.
- No Honking At The Street. They must come to the door.
- Not Saying “Yes Sir”. This shows disrespect to those who are responsible for her.
- Speeding. This puts my daughter in danger.
- Drinking and/or Drugs. This also puts her in danger but also creates potentially irresponsible and destructive behavior.
- Where They Put Their Hands. He would be allowed to put his hands on my daughter’s hands and shoulder. Anything else is off-limits!!! In marriage there is a difference between touching your wife and handling her. Guys, you know what I mean. These behaviors are learned during the dating years. No one is allowed to handle my (or any other father’s) daughter.
- Treating Their Own Mother With Disrespect. If they treat the most important female in their life with disrespect, they will most likely treat my daughter with disrespect as well.
- Missing Curfew. Don’t make me worry.
- Coming Over To The House When Her Parents Are Not Home. I don’t trust them that much. I was young once myself.
- Lying To Me. Nothing is more precious to me than my daughter. I have to be able to trust someone with her.
This is my list which I reserve the right to change at a moment’s notice with new and updated information.
Guys, I’m rooting for you! If you highly value what I value most, I will take care of you – money to take her somewhere nice, gas money, tips on keeping her happy (you’ll need them), great gifts on your birthday and Christmas, etc…
If you don’t, hit the bricks!!! You are disqualified!!! Dads, can I get an AMEN?!
Another quick tip that only guys know – Guys treat girls differently depending on how involved the girl’s father is in the their lives. Trust me on that. Men, don’t leave your family. Your little girls are going to need your protection. I was reminded of that on vacation.
To automatically receive future posts on leadership, simply subscribe or click here.