Rob Bell has everyone talking and I would like for everyone who reads this post to comment? He’s going to sell a lot of books. And he is completely wrong. This saddens me because I have always enjoyed the Nooma videos and the creativity and theatrics of Bell. Dust Of The Rabbi is one of my favorite vignettes I’ve ever seen. But Bell is deeply misguided on this issue. Love Wins but Bell loses.
The following are quotes from the March 14th USA Today:
- Death doesn’t cut off the ability to repent. In his Bible, Bell see no “infinite, eternal torment for things (people) did in their few finite years of life.” *Note – see the verses listed below.
- Jesus makes salvation possible even for people who never know his name. “We have to allow for mystery,” for people who “drink from the rock” of faith “without knowing who or what it was.” *Note – Acts 4:12 states “Nor is there salvation in any other (Jesus), for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
- Churches that don’t allow for this are “misguided and toxic.”
Also, before you support Bell’s beliefs, watch Martin Bashir’s shredding of Bell earlier this week shown above. Sadly, Bell’s viewpoints don’t stand up to even basic questioning. Particularly his statement that when we die “we are fully in the realm of speculation”. If you are struggling with this issue along with Bell, the following are 17 Bible verses should help remove the speculation:
- Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), …Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
- Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night…
- Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life…And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
- Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
- Matthew 18:8, 9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
- Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
- II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.
- Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.
- Mark 9:44 (speaking of hell), Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
- Jude 7, Sodom and Gomorrha…are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
- Matthew 22:13, …Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- Matthew 13:41-42, The Son of man (Jesus) shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
- Revelation 21:8, But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- Psalm 9:17, The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
- Isaiah 14:99-11, 15 (referring to Lucifer), Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee…all they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee…thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
- Daniel 12:2, And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and EVERLASTING contempt.
To make your voice heard as a leader, click The Leadership Tribe link.
To automatically receive future posts on leadership, simply subscribe or click here.